Hacking the TiVo, Warren Toomey
Thu Sep 2 12:27:49 EST 2004
- Tridge & Paulus wrote "palmod", which is a Linux kernel module to drive PAL (because the TiVo originally is based on NTSC).
- Tridge & Chris Yeoh wrote the tool to download Australian TV data from web sites and convert it to TiVo 'slice' format.
- Wktivoguide - weekly tivo guide - scrapes data from HTML websites, so that you get weekly guide information.
- use PPP over serial to bash console to manually configure their TiVo. So that it can "phone home".
- OzTiVo 3.0 is very useful - its very easy to use. Just need to restore an image to a disk - so all you need to put the hard disk in your PC and it all just works.
- OzTiVo Wiki - http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome. There is also a mailing list, oztivo.
Apparently, for a total of about AUD$600, you can get a TiVo, a network card, the modified antennae, and so on.